Saturday, October 9, 2010

Black Water Swimming

I do wish that either I had a memory or that I was more anal...  I can't remember what I may have said and am too lazy to re-read everything again.  So.. here we go again.   If you have already heard all my stories, you can pretend that I am Ken Beal - and just be nice and humour me.


A week ago Saturday arrived and as I got to St. Ann's about a half hour early most of the girls were already waiting to leave. Sister Barbara had decided in the goodness of her heart that all the girls - not just the girls who had been good the previous days - would be going swimming... as well, it was her birthday and she wanted the peace and quiet.   Ah one of those times in life that opposites are true - generosity and selfishness.  Sister Barbara did do a little "Happy - Happy - Joy Dance" as we were leaving... so maybe one was more true than the other.
  I had originally recruited 6 of my students to help supervise before I told Sister that I would take them... On the Thursday, I was down to 2 students; the others had some really lame excuses, like I'll be too tired to go out dancing at the Guy Expo that night... and my personal favourite:  my mother told me that I can't go because I have to study!  Anyhow, I did end up with three students [who eventually showed up at 9:30], Judith, a visiting nurse from Amsterdam and Sylvia, a long term volunteer with Scarborough Fathers in Toronto [a Maryknoll knock-off society - and for those of you who pay close attention, Tony and I did take her out to dinner.] as well as Sister Mary Peter.  Eventually one - 5 seat -car and two 12 seat -mini-vans left with 40 plus eager participants.
It was my first time to the Chicken Farm as I usually have been able to fake an injury; however, I was supposed to be in charge of the expedition.   The food and juices were packed and the three toys for all the kids and we were off.   It was a good 40 minute drive out to the airport. It seemed longer with a happy little kid on on my knee that whole time and the fact that in true Guyanese style the driver had to stop to get some air in his tires...  It never crosses the mind to do stuff early.   In many ways it is an example of Guyana... There is no preventative maintenance...  only after something breaks or doesn't work is it looked at.   And so almost everything is just a "straw" away from collapse.
The farm is a working chicken and pig farm and packing company... at the road.   At the back it is a well groomed paradise.   David Fernandes, a brother of Sister Beatrice is the Kluck-Kluck King of Guyana and he invites the girls out to swim and play in the grass and trails AND pick all the fruit - oranges and tangerines that they can carry.   Some of the older and professional girls brought huge duffel bags to maximize their haul.
There is a wonderful pool that is constantly fed by the black creek water.  It is hedged in and there is a large benab and poolside tables.   It is the most impressive landscaped area that I have seen in Guyana.   All the workers are polite and courteous to the girls.



They were so happy!  And there wasn't a fight over anything.  With 37 girls over 6 hours... now that is a MIRACLE.   Some of the girls whom I can only recognize by their frowns and grumps were unknown in smiles and laughter... MIRACLE 2.   And I did not say "Ugh!" once the whole day... MIRACLE 3.
At the end they were tired and I was exhausted.   And as I was leaving to go home, I could hear them asking Sister Barbara when was Father John taking them again.  Hey, let me get home first, eh?



I really do mean to do a serious blog on our adventure with Problem Based Learning.  What is really scary is that Tony and I agree that it is going great...   Thought the students may have figured us out, for if one of us says something, they look at the other and wait for the opposite.





The Senior -Seniors took their final RN exams this week... I guess it is too late that they do well on the test.  So maybe say a prayer that they will cope with whatever grade they did get.  I taught them three years ago and it is good that they remember me with such affection and expressions of our deep relationship when they ask me when I am taking them to the Creek to relax and unwind from the exam stress - just like I told them that they should do... though I don't remember saying I was going to pay.





More of Somethings
  • I reached a new low this week when I was shopping.  I looked at the Kraft Mac and Cheese and decided that it was too much work to prepare... and pushed on to cookies!
  • Actually, grocery shopping isn't too bad here.  There is variety of most stuff.   The difference is that you can never get the same thing two weeks in a row.
  • When I was at the King of Glory celebration, the ladies from Epiphany in Albouystown [Yes, I am still legend as the white guy walking there alone  ..... most drivers don't even stop for red lights in that part of town] reminded me that I had told them I would be back to preach again and didn't!  So I am scheduled to preach there at 8 am on Sunday... and since Calvary heard that, I'll be there at 9... [now I'll have to be short]  and across the river at 11 in King of Glory.    They are under a faulty logic when they tell me "Pastor, no sense wasting a good sermon..."    I haven't even written it yet.
  • Sister Beatrice of St. Ann's still remains very weak yet amazingly keeps her spirits up.   She wanted to see the pictures of the girls swimming at Bounty Farms... And she stayed awake watching all 400 of the pictures... Those girls can take a lot of pictures of themselves.   She gave me this nun look when I told her that Sister Mary Peter was not going to wear her bikini.   Please remember her in your prayers. 
  • The pictures in the Slide Show (above) this week are from the Bounty Swim.   Just some, eh?
  • I took my friend, Dick Young, to dinner and we went to the Pegasus Hotel and poolside.  Well, all the familiar waiters had been let go in a dispute about salaries and were replaced by a new and very young wait staff who were learning - or not - as they served and a limited menu with higher prices...   I will not return.   I may end up talking on Sunday about slavery and Jesus' silence - don't know yet.   However, part of the definition of a slave is one whom others consider chattel.. It felt that was what happened to my old waiters at the Pegasus... It may have been Lenin who said that slavery is not dead; it just lives on in different forms...
  • I also passed my exam with the Second Year Nursing students.  I met with them on Tuesday and one by one I correctly named them all... They were sad that I succeeded as there would be no pepperoni pizza for them.  I had bet them I could.. and they did their best over the two weeks to disguise and confuse me.  I had taken their mug shots and added them to my computer screen-saver and worked every day at memorizing them.   Well, they were such good sports, I told them that I'd still get the pizza.   I'll just have to take it out of my small beer fund...

2 comments:

  1. Your friends are right about the small beer fund. You may need the pizza to balance out your cookie diet. You have swam in the black water. "You will return to Guyana" . Have you swam in it before? what is it you have to eat to be a "real Guyanese". You are being tracked. Rosita texted me from the funeral that you were there. This blog is nice. you 'bullet' your profound discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The saying goes that If you drink the black water and eat Laba,you will definitely return to Guyana. And yes, I have had Laba and I have swum in Black waters before... And for those of you who want to know as Laba is a big fat rodent.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to know what you think as you have read what I think...